It’s crucial that you wear the right clothing when undertaking adventures in the great outdoors. A good pair of bushcraft pants is a key part of your outfit.
The best bushcraft pants are designed to fit comfortably, while also being durable enough to survive harsh conditions. Ideally, they should also provide adequate protection against insects, thorny bushes, hazards, and some level of cold.
In this guide, you’ll get to know all the important features to consider when looking for bushcraft pants, as well as our top 4 picks of the best bushcraft pants to buy. You’ll also learn how to maintain bushcraft pants properly over time to make them last. Let’s dive in!
Why Use the Best Bushcraft Pants
- With the best bushcraft pants, you are protected from environmental hazards associated with the wilderness—like thorns and bushes that could scratch you.
- Bushcraft pants also protect your body from crawling, flying, or creeping creatures.
- High-quality bushcraft pants offer psychological protection because you’ll feel safer and more professional when wearing them.
- Bushcraft pants with knee pads protect against bruises and other falls you may experience during bushcrafting.
- Compared to other pants, your skin breathes in bushcraft pants and doesn’t get drenched in sweat.
- Bushcraft pants are designed so that you feel comfortable and can move your body freely in them, which is ideal for outdoor adventures.
- Finally, the best bushcraft pants are highly durable and should last you a long time.
Features to Consider Before Getting Bushcraft Pants
Looking for these features will help you choose the right pants for bushcrafting.
- The quality of the fabric must be high. The best bushcraft pants are made out of quality cotton and polyester. These materials offer excellent durability and give the pants a comfortable fit.
- The weather resistance must be top-notch. Pants should protect your body from harsh weather conditions and elements including water, frost, and heat. The best materials dry quickly to help keep your body warm especially when bushcrafting in winter.
- You should also feel very comfortable in bushcraft pants. Comfort is paramount and helps you move and rest with ease.
- The number of pockets in the pants is also a feature to consider. Most campers carry a lot of small items like tools; this stuff needs practical storage space and pockets can be a good solution.
- Go for low-maintenance pants as they are easy to clean and dry pretty quickly, which is especially ideal during emergency situations. High-maintenance pants don’t have those benefits.
- Look for a balance between quality and cost. Sometimes, it’s worth spending a little bit more so you can have high-quality pants that will last. There’s no need to break the bank, though; there are many affordable, quality options out there.
- If you are fashion-conscious, also think about choosing pants that match your style. But don’t let this take too much precedence over the other important features to look for!
Our Top Picks for the Best Bushcraft Pants
Although people’s needs may differ when looking for the ideal bushcraft pants, there are some products that really stand out from the rest. We are keen to share these with you! So, here are our top picks for the best bushcraft pants to buy.
- Sitka Gear Mountain Pants: These are, technically, hunting pants. They strike the perfect balance between comfort, durability, and style. They’re versatile, suit all weather conditions, and allow for fluid athletic mobility. What more could you ask for?
- Caterpillar Trademark Work Pants: These are made out of pure cotton polyester and boast high durability. They have a lot of important pockets and can accommodate good movement. They may not be waterproof, but they can withstand years of harsh conditions and wear.
- Carhartt Men’s Ripstop Cargo Work Pant: These pants are 100% cotton and can withstand harsh bushcraft activities and terrains. They’re very comfortable and can even be worn if you are climbing trees! Further features: a nice color palette plus a good number of pockets.
- Rothco Camo Cargo Pants: Made out of polyester-cotton, these are designed for the roughest, toughest, and remotest use. The material is also very breathable and you get eight handy pockets for storage. With their classic design and pattern, these pants give you a military look.
How to Maintain Bushcraft Pants
Despite being inherently tough, bushcraft pants still need some level of care and maintenance to ensure their longevity. Here are some very useful steps you can take:
- Before buying pants, check out their composite materials and make sure they will be easy for you to wash and maintain.
- If your pants get wet while you’re on the go, turn the pockets inside out. This will help them dry faster.
- If you’re back at camp and your pants are wet and cold, it’s best to take them off completely and leave them to dry by a fire.
- Don’t use harsh chemicals or corrosive detergents on your pants; doing so may damage the pants and reduce their lifespan.
- Each time you’re done wearing your pants, wash and dry them as soon as possible. This will keep them in tip-top condition ready for your next trip!
In a nutshell, the best bushcraft pants for outdoor adventures should embody comfort, good design, quality, and durability. So go on, check out our top picks and make your purchase!
I am Bruno. Navigating the urban rush by day, I find peace under the stars by night. Alongside my loyal companion and co-adventurer Lilith, we explore the balance between city life and nature’s embrace. Through writing and films, I delve into bushcraft and the wild’s allure.
GointheWilderness is my bridge between these two realms, guiding you to reconnect with your innate wilderness.
Eden is here and now; join us in rediscovering it.